Monday, September 1, 2014

Sleepless in St. George

Well I can't sleep.  I haven't slept well at night most nights.  It's really annoying not being able to sleep.  It's boring at 3 AM.  Well I will update you on where we are at with my friend Mr. Hodge.

The month of August was a long month.  No insurance put everything on hold for a month, but we were able to get insurance again.  Luckily since we were dropped by Nina's Starbucks insurance we were able to apply for new insurance and got better insurance.  Bonus!  I've thought about how blessed we have been through this whole situation.  I can honestly say that this has been a good experience so far.  Not that cancer is a good thing but we've grown a lot through this.  I was thinking the other day about all of it and I realized that sometimes our brightest hope is in our darkest hour.  Think about that for a bit.  When that thought came to my mind I was blown away.  Sometimes our brightest hope is in our darkest hour.

So now that we have insurance we are back on track.  It's funny how the doctors were so rushed when we first found out that I had cancer that we do all the tests and get me going with chemotherapy as soon as possible and not hesitate.  Then when we found out that insurance was gone the doctors said to wait and put everything on hold.  It doesn't bother me, I just think that it's funny how that works.

I have surgery tomorrow morning.  We are putting the port in my chest.  It's like a metal button looking thing with a tube that goes into some artery that goes into my heart.  It's a permanent IV that they can easily put the chemo in and take blood out.  More cool looking scars for me.  I wish I could watch what they do during the surgery.

I have another appointment on next Monday to have bone marrow taken out of me and tested to see if the cancer has spread to the bone.  Something that was so important to do very quickly...until insurance was gone. ;)  I'm really not looking forward to that, from what I hear that's not a very fun procedure.  The doctor asked if I wanted to be sedated for it.  Uh, ya!  What kind of person doesn't want to be sedated for that.  I can't be put to sleep I have to be awake but they can at least sedate me.  Of course I want to be sedated.

I haven't been able to sleep like I said earlier.  I get too hot at night and my chest is so tight that sleeping is uncomfortable.  That's the hardest part for me so far.  The fact that my chest is super tight and that makes breathing deep a pain.  Throws sleeping off a bit.  So I try to sleep as much as I can at night, but for the past few weeks it's not more than a couple hours at a time, but that gives me more time to do other stuff right?

I started a fundly account that people can donate and help out with all our bills and stuff.  I was shocked at how many people have donated.  I can't express how grateful we are for the help.  If you ever have a fundraiser use fundly it's a cool site.  The money that is donated goes right into my bank account that we use for the bills.  I have really been impressed at how amazing people are and how they care enough about you that they want to help.

Here's a little scripture to leave you guys with that I like.
Doctrine & Covenants section 6 verses 33-37
33. Fear not to do good, my sons, for whatsoever ye sow, that shall ye also reap; therefore, if ye sow good ye shall also reap good for your reward.
34. Therefore, fear not, little flock; do good; let earth and hell combine against you, for if ye are built upon my rock, they cannot prevail.
35. Behold, I do not condemn you; go your ways and sin no more; perform with soberness the work which I have commanded you.
36. Look unto me in every thought; doubt not, fear not.
37. Behold the wounds which pierced my side, and also the prints of the nails in my hands and feet; be faithful, keep my commandments, and ye shall inherit the kingdom of heaven. Amen.

Remember whatever your are doing: do it, do good, and keep doing it.

1 comment:

  1. Hey - that's a Scripture Mastery! (D&C 6: 36) we are praying for you guys every day, but you are in our thoughts 24/7. YOU will pull through this and be 110%!!! You ROCK Lawrence!

    ReplyDelete